NOGLSTP established the Out To Innovate Scholarships for LGBT STEM Students, following NOGLSTP’s inaugural Out to Innovate Career Summit for LGBT People in STEM. These scholarships are intended for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering,or mathematics (STEM) programs who are either lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) or an active ally of the LGBT community. The scholarships are designed to promote academic excellence and increased visibility of talented LGBT students in STEM careers.
Scholarships to date have been awarded to:
- 2011/2012 Academic Year: Michael Waak and Tonia Poteat; Funded by Battelle Memorial Institute
- 2012/2013 Academic Year: Malakai Ryker and Carl Streed Jr. Funded by Battelle Memorial Institute
The next scholarships will be awarded for the Fall 2013 academic year, and will be funded by the Motorola Solutions Foundation. Students currently enrolled at any U.S.-based college or university that meet the eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply.
Out to Innovate Scholarships Guidelines and Eligibility
Application Deadline: June 3
The mission of the Out to Innovate Scholarships is to:
- Award scholarships to LGBT or LGBT-supportive students currently enrolled in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) or STEM-related teaching fields.
- Honor students who support a creative educational community that increases the visibility and the accomplishments of LGBT and LGBT-supportive students
- Encourage students to be out in their careers and support diversity in the STEM workforce
Scholarship Awards: Two $5000 scholarships will be awarded for the Fall 2013 academic year. One $5000 scholarship will go to an undergraduate student, and one $5000 scholarship will go to a graduate/professional level student. Students currently enrolled at any U.S.-based college or university is eligible to apply.
- Scholarship awards will be paid in the Fall 2013 semester/quarter only.
- Scholarships must be used in the 2013/2014 academic year.
- Scholarships are not guaranteed from one year to the next.
- All awards will be credited to the awardees’ college/university account and used towards the awardees’ tuition.
- Graduate/professional students may have the award credited to a research/fellowship account.
- Successful completion of a minimum of two years of post-high school education at an accredited college or university
- Maintenance of a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 for the entirety of college/university enrollment
- A declared major in an accredited STEM or STEM-related teaching field
- Be an active supporter of and participant in programs or organizations that promote LGBT inclusion and visibility
- Students must be eligible for fall term registration and must not be under disciplinary sanction.
- application form with signed waiver, which includes
- personal information
- academic and community achievements
- demographics survey
- coursework / program summary
- work experience
- community and extracurricular activities
- financial aid profile
- list of references
- personal statement (essay)
- official transcript
- three letters of reference
Where to send the application package:
PO Box 91803
Pasadena CA 91109
Application Deadline: June 3, 2013
- Complete Applications must be received or postmarked by June 3, 2013
- Late or incomplete application packages will not be evaluated
- Electronic submissions will not be accepted
Download Application Package Now: (note: This is a zipped file that contains guidelines, application form, personal statement form, and recommendation forms. Download the zipped package, then extract to get the separate files)
Questions: David Crombecque, Ph.D., NOGLSTP Scholarship Program Coordinator at: scholarships at noglstp dot org
More about Programs: