NOGLSTP is an organization run by volunteers, currently with no paid staff. That’s why it is important to cultivate and nurture members who would like to be helpful in some way.
When you join NOGLSTP as a member, you will notice a list of volunteer opportunities in which you can express your interest. You can update your membership profile anytime to change these interests. The list below describes some of these volunteer opportunities.
- Serve on Board of Directors: participate in NOGLSTP leadership through quarterly conference calls, yearly face-to-face business meetings, and program project leadership; 2-year commitment
- Help at AAAS events: organize a symposium or workshop, help organize receptions, serve as meet-and-greet host, donate money to support receptions; single event commitment
- Organize or host local event: take the lead in gathering fellow NOGLSTP members together to do something nerdy or social
- Write newsletter articles: compose reviews, editorials, topical articles at submit to the newsletter editor by publication date; single article commitment
- Edit the newsletter: set publication deadlines, collect content, use desktop publishing software to lay out content, print to PDF, submit to NOGLSTP office for printing; 2-year commitment
- Speak about/on behalf of NOGLSTP at an event: spread the word about NOGLSTP programs, history, and outreach as an invited speaker; we can provide you power-point presentation to guide you through your talk; single event commitment
- Serve on recognition awards committee: help evaluate nomination packages for Recognition Awards; once-a-year commitment with several meetings by conference call or email
- Assist with the mentoring program: become a NOGLSTP mentor by joining the MentorNet community (9 week commitment, once a week); recruit proteges and mentors; help match proteges with mentors; serve as NOGLSTP’s liaison to MentorNet
- Assist with Out to Innovate career summit for LGBT people in STEM: this event is held in a different location every 2 years; help with conference planning, logistics, fundraising, programming
- Write a grant proposal: identify potential grant sources for NOGLSTP programs; submit letter of intent (or equivalent); write / submit grant proposal; single project commitment
- Evaluate scholarship applications: help evaluate nomination packages for scholarships; once-a-year commitment with several meetings by conference call or email
- Help with fundraising: identify, cultivate and secure funding sources through private donors, industry philanthropy, and funding agencies
- Start/represent an LGBTQ+ caucus at your professional society: initiate or instigate the diversity inclusion conversation at your professional society; cultivate and consolidate colleagues to join NOGLSTP; organize LGBTQ+-focused events at your professional society meetings; serve as a representative from your LGBTQ+ group to NOGLSTP Board of Directors
More about Supporting NOGLSTP: