NOGLSTP has partnered with MentorNet® and the National Research Mentoring Network to offer its members opportunities to find a mentor and to be a mentor. Scroll down to read about both partnerships.
MentorNet®: One on One e-Mentoring for all people in STEM
Students: Get career advice from an LGBTQ+ engineer or scientist!
LGBTQ+ STEM Professionals: Mentor the next generation of our community’s best and brightest science and technology candidates.
MentorNet®, the E-Mentoring Network for Diversity in Engineering and Science, provides on-line mentoring opportunities for its lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer students in the sciences, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The NOGLSTP-MentorNet partnership provides NOGLSTP with a national e-mentoring network that unites academic institution, corporate institution, and scientific and technical professional society mentors with LGBTQ+ college and graduate students, post-doctoral scholars, and early-career faculty through MentorNet’s award-winning One-on-One Mentoring Programs. In addition to offering traditional one-on-one mentoring through the transition of college student to workforce employee, the NOGLSTP Mentoring Project hopes to help its protégés to answer questions unique to the career-bound LGBT community, such as:
- If /when to come out in an interview?
- Should one de-gay one’s life at school or work?
- What companies are gay-friendly?
- Should I join a student or Employee Resource Group or a professional association like NOGLSTP?
Follow this link to join MentorNet® now. It’s free and easy.
Our Mentoring Program Sponsors:
- Founding Sponsors (>$10000): IBM (2005)
- Strategic Sponsors ($5000 – $9999):your company name here
- Leadership Sponsors ($1000 – $4999): Amy Ross (2005-2008); Medtronic (2007); Motorola Solutions Foundation (2013, 2014)
Contact the NOGLSTP Mentoring Project Coordinator for more details about sponsoring this program.
The National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN): for students and researchers in the biomedical, behavioral, clinical, and social sciences.
Access FREE virtual mentorship, grantwriting coaching groups, mentorship training and more professional development programs and resources through the National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN), funded by the NIH.
NRMN is a nationwide consortium of science professionals and institutions collaborating to provide students and scientists across all career stages of research in the biomedical, behavioral, clinical, and social sciences with enhanced networking, professional development, research resources and mentorship experiences.
As a mentee with NRMN, you can:
- Navigate NRMNet: an online resource for mentoring, networking and professional development
- Participate in virtual mentoring with mentors recommended to you based on topics relevant to your field(s) of interest in the sciences and your interest to discuss the impact of cultural background on your scientific career
- Stay up-to-date on NRMN’s programming and nationwide diversity efforts through webinars, videos, news, and links to ongoing professional development opportunities
As a mentor with NRMN, you can:
- Learn about mentoring best practices from other outstanding mentors
- Participate in mentorship in your field that directly addresses diversity, inclusivity, and culture through NRMN’s virtual mentoring platform
- Stay up-to-date on diversity efforts and programs
Download an NRMN flyer to share with your colleagues.
Click Here to create your profile on the NRMN website today!
Notes as you create your profile:
- You will be prompted to create a password and answer a set of basic questions to create your profile.
- When asked, “from which organization did you hear about NRMN?” please select NOGLSTP – National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals from the dropdown menu.
- When you reach the end of the questions, you will be given the option of setting up your virtual mentoring profile. This will entail answering some additional questions, and so you may choose the option to log back in and complete this step later if you prefer.
- Once you’ve completed your registration, you will see a Confirmation page listing your responses. You must click the red button on the lower right-hand side of this page in order to finalize your registration.